Saturday, July 19, 2008

Atonement...

A Book Review:

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Another borrowed book that has been sitting on my book pile for ages!

I personally was expecting something totally different from this book. I kept waiting for the romance...This is why I HATE to see movie trailors before I read a book...they are so misleading! This book was actually very good and I enjoyed the way the author moved through the different places and the feelings...not just of the characters themselves but the times, you could really feel the atmosphere of the different places at the same times.
I give it 4 of 5 stars

I quick synopsis from Goodreads.com:

Ian McEwan’s symphonic novel of love and war, childhood and class, guilt and forgiveness provides all the satisfaction of a brilliant narrative and the provocation we have come to expect from this master of English prose.

On a hot summer day in 1935, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis witnesses a moment’s flirtation between her older sister, Cecilia, and Robbie Turner, the son of a servant and Cecilia’s childhood friend. But Briony’s incomplete grasp of adult motives–together with her precocious literary gifts–brings about a crime that will change all their lives. As it follows that crime’s repercussions through the chaos and carnage of World War II and into the close of the twentieth century, Atonement engages the reader on every conceivable level, with an ease and authority that mark it as a genuine masterpiece.


More stamped creations coming later today!

2 comments:

  1. I agree Rach. I was expecting something totally different from seeing the movie previews and was surprised when I read the book. I still enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the good thing about my age is that even though I saw the movie previews I don't remember a thing about them. I too have had this book on my shelf for a long while. I was talking just this past Thursday about the movie with the daughter of a friend and she said she didn't like it. I had all but decided I would let the book sit for a bit longer. But on your and your commenters recommendation, maybe I will pick it up and give it a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It means a lot to me that you follow my work and take the time to share how you feel! {SMILES}