Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Lentils and Quinoa with Vegetables

I am trying to learn one new Vegan dish a week, as my husband has gone Vegan this year and I feel like a horrible wife never cooking for him. This Saturday I altered a Vegan Lentil Chili recipe I found on Ambitious Kitchen. I really liked this and actually went and bought more butternut squash so I can make it again. I know my husband wished for a bit more spice, but he really enjoyed it as well.




Lentils and Quinoa with Veggies



Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon oil (I used Avocado Oil, but EVOO works)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 red or yellow pepper, diced
  • 4-5 Mushrooms, cut in fourths
  • 2 fresh tomatoes, finely chopped (you can use canned tomatoes)
  • 1 sm Butternut Squash, cleaned and diced
  • 3 med carrots, peeled and diced
  • 2 Zucchini, sliced thick
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder, or more depending on how spicy you like it
  • 3 cups vegetarian broth, plus more if necessary
  • 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup cilantro or Parsley, finely chopped plus more for garnish
  • Avocado for topping, if desired
  • Salt and Pepper to taste, I layer this by adding to each new addition

Instructions

  1. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add garlic and cook for a minute or until fragrant and slightly golden. Add onion, cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add squash, pepper,  mushroom and carrot, cook until al dente, Add in tomatoes, cumin, chili and salt and pepper, lower heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until tomatoes begin to break down.

  2. Add broth, quinoa, and lentils; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are tender and quinoa has expanded.

  3. Stir in Parsley or Cilantro and season with more salt and pepper if needed. You can add a bit more broth if you feel you do not have enough, it will continue to thicken as it cools. Simmer a few minutes more.

  4. Top with avocado if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It means a lot to me that you follow my work and take the time to share how you feel! {SMILES}